First stop was the Miseau Child Development Center. Katy's speech therapist has suggested that she attend some sort of day care a few hours each week so she can observe (and take part with) kids that communicate more normally. Of course, given that we're in Germany and we'd like her to learn English first, that means that I not only needed to find available day care, I needed to find available US day care. It's VERY difficult to get in to the day care centers on base. Luckily, I happened to come across a well-kept secret. There's a tiny Army base about 20 minutes from our house (we live on the outskirts of how far a lot of people are willing to drive; but it's still closer than our commute at our last base). It has a Child Development Center. I thought that at the very least I would do our orientation to the system there and work our way into the others. Nope. We fell in love. I loved how clean the facility was and the great child/teacher ratio (Katy will be attending a classroom with 3 teachers and 8 other kids; she'll be the 9th kid). Katy just fell in love. When we went in to do the tour of the classroom she took off. She didn't even look back. I had to DRAG her out of there. Since I spoke so glowingly of the facility, Ryan wanted to see it too. He agreed that it was a good match. Katy's "first day of school" is Tuesday.
After that we headed to St. Avold American Military Cemetery. We'd seen the exit several times but it had never been convenient to stop. We got off at the wrong exit and it wasn't signed very well, but we managed to arrive with only a little bit of frustration. Katy was ready to go instantly. She didn't know where she was going, but she was going to take off her jacket and run there!

It was a lovely cemetery. We were lucky to be the only visitors so we felt comfortable bringing Katy in.





There were a lot of these "unknown" markers.


Ryan off to enjoy a quiet moment by himself.



Next stop, Metz.



No comments:
Post a Comment