Friday, August 24, 2007

News....

So, Katy's sick once again. It's really ridiculous. I drug her in to the doctor again yesterday afternoon where we once again pinned her down to look in her ears. I thought it was her left ear. I was right about it being another infection, but I had the ear wrong. So, we left with yet another set of antibiotics in hand. We literally have been into the base pediatrician's office once a week since we came back from the US for one reason or another (I think that we discussed her ears on all but one visit, and that one was her 18 month "well" visit).

After we left the pediatrician's office I wandered down to the insurance office. They speak German and I needed someone to convey to our ENT (who is German but speaks impeccable English; which is all well and good, but his staff speaks almost NO English and my basic words and numbers just don't cut it for speaking to a medical office) that she was diagnosed with yet another ear infection. Katy and I must have both looked pretty bad. We had most of the insurance office staff in there making sure we were ok (to her credit, Katy really DID look sick this time and I was so frustrated and embarrassed by all the attention that I burst into tears for a few moments). The Master Sergeant that runs the office came in and offered me a hug (either that means I looked really bad or we're in there way too often because she feels comfortable offering; I don't know which). The verdict was that she needs to have her surgery NOW. So, pre-op (which is an absolute requirement) is on Monday and surgery is next Thursday; that's the earliest they could coordinate schedules with the anesthesiologist. After surgery Katy has to be in "exile" for 7 to 10 days (ie, no exposure to anyone that could carry germs to her, mostly meaning groups of kids). This will be especially fun for me! She also can't fly for at least 3 weeks, which means that we can't head back to Debbie's wedding in September. I suppose the good part is that we're getting it over with and we'll have a verdict on her hearing since they'll test that while she's under.

I suppose that I need to go buy pudding and popsicles next week.

Of course, just to top it off, she woke up this morning with a monster cold (hmmm, wonder where the ear infection came from? She's a little mixed up, usually the cold comes first....) so she didn't get to enjoy her second day of school. After yesterday, I was actually looking forward to it!

No comments: