Yesterday was another glorious fall afternoon so we took the kids to the park to play (hopefully not for the last time; since I plan on going over to help them pack at the very least) and I was able to pull out the camera.
We arrived first. Katy's become SO independent. She knows how to climb up to the slide and go down all by herself now. Not only that, she just takes off and does it with no prodding from me. It's pretty neat to watch.

Katy LOVES the slide. She loves the acoustics in it too. She'll often climb up there and sit and talk and yell to herself for several minutes before coming down. Usually it's not a problem, but the concept that someone else might be waiting for their turn hasn't quite occurred to her.

Normally the rule is that she has to go down feet first. Somehow this one got past me (probably because I had the camera up and couldn't stop her).

Off she goes to explore the "big kid" side of the park.

Another slide. Have I mentioned how much this child loves slides?
The requisite pre-slide singing.
On this one we opted for the "feet first on the belly" technique. A good choice as it had some twists further down.

About here is where Kelly and Ambrose showed up. In another neat developmental thing, I said to Katy: "You friend Ambrose is here, do you want to find him and play?" She actually stopped what she was doing and looked around until she found him. It probably helped that he was shouting "Kee! Kee!" (Katy! Katy!) at her....
As much as Katy loves slides, she dislikes swings with equal force. But, oddly, if Ambrose was in the swing she INSISTED that she needed to be in the swing next to him and she actually had a good time the entire time until he got down.

Off the two partners in crime go to explore.


What one has the other wants....

Katy also normally cringes and cries when an adult other than Ryan or I touch her. Not the case with Kelly....

Everyone piles in for the big double slide.

Katy had to sit next to Ambrose.

I love this because it looks like she's holding his hand; and look at that sly grin he's giving in return.

Soon after the "handholding" Ambrose started chasing Katy around trying to give her a kiss. Katy wanted no part of it (I told her that it was fine; she doesn't need to kiss boys for a VERY long time). Later Ambrose ramped down to merely wanting a hug and Katy wasn't really sure about that either. But, it was adorable from an adult perspective.
This doesn't mean much to you, but it's more evidence of climbing to me. She usually stands at this ring and whines until one of us picks her up and puts her on. Today she took matters into her own hands and climbed right up, waiting to go.

Finally, a small tea party.


The final shot of them actually eating snacks. They sat on the grass and laughed and laughed. One would go then the other. Back and forth they went with full belly laughs.

Of course, all good things must come to an end so we parted ways for now.
I took Katy to the post office, which is always a treat (please read the sarcasm that was intended into that remark). Ryan's very busy with a work project this week, so we've been on our own for things like post office runs. I put off getting a package all week, somehow hoping it would magically pick itself up, I suppose. After I spent an exhausting 30 minutes in line and wrangling Katy we made it home. As I was telling Ryan the story and about how everyone was laughing, he pointed out that everyone is laughing at me as much as they are Katy. Poor harried Mom congenially chasing a very fast toddler while trying to keep one foot in line and not lose her place. If I wasn't the one in the middle of it, I'd have to admit that it would be pretty funny.



No comments:
Post a Comment